- I have a few fine-tuning requests. I made numerous style sheet updates so please download my file first.
- I made some adjustments to the .site-header .title-area so that the logo would become smaller on tablet and the nav would stay beside it. Independently of this, however, below 1023 wide, the sub-menu items are inline rather than stacked. I think it would be safer for you to take a look since you already did some menu adjustments.
- I am still seeing two equal columns between 767 and 781px on tablet portrait. I tried playing with the front-end.css file with no success. It wants to be full width at max-width 767 and 2/3 and 1/3 at 768 and wider. Please fix this. I don’t think you need to download my file.
- At large screen sizes, the home page slider is not using the large 1900px image. The stretched smaller image does not look crisp. I think I would prefer not to use the smaller image until below 1023.
- On this page, https://www.reinhardtcorp.com/resource-center/latest-news/, the breadcrumb is repeated inside each post-summary. This is likely because we added a function to move it below the entry-header, but it needs to be done differently for this page. While you’re working on this, can you also make the top of the content and sidebar line up with the other pages (after the breadcrumb is moved)? Related: on single pages, I decided to show the date. Can you make the breadcrumb appear above the date?
- Is there a way to add a max-width to the main nav “li” or “a” to force Savings and Payment Plans to two lines without the manual <br> I put in the Appearance Menu? When I tried to add a max-width, it acted like a forced width and was wider than the maximum necessary. The reason this would be better is so that the mobile nav would revert back to one line. Not imperative if difficult.
- For the accordions, let’s take the simpler route and use the gray/orange and gray/blue color choices, naming it something intuitive for the client like orange-hover and blue-hover. In addition to the pointer and hover color, can you also add a border when opened, similar to existing site? Note: I’m working on one of the mini-mart pages so we can see the result in blue as well.
- If I want to add two more colors to the palette, is there anything more than duplicating the way you have added my colors in lib/gutenberg/style-editor.css (line 318) and config/appearance.php? (Not sure why I broke the site when I tried.)
- What did you do to stop mutliple instances of Genesis Blocks?
- What time zone are you in?
- You mentioned Firefox browser in a recent email. Is there something going on with Firefox? When I try to print any page, or use the Print button on https://www.reinhardtcorp.com/become-customer/online-billing-rights-and-terms-of-agreement/, it only shows/prints the first page. It looks o.k. in Chrome.
I would like you to do the Zip Code locator programming if it is not cost prohibitive and would like an estimate. I’m attaching the zipped files which may be helpful. I’ve created the three pages, yes, no, alternate.
Zip Code Locator Description:
The existing suite of websites, https://www.reinhardthomeheating.com/, https://www.reesemarshall.com/, https://www.pauloil.com/, and https://www.sdpetroleum.com/ are sub-sites of a parent https://www.warmfriends.com/ that are connected using symlinks. The zip code functionality in the live installation consists of a few files in each company site with form logic and controller, and references to a DataConn and UtilityLibrary in the parent site.
When a zip code is submitted, the base URL is found, and then queries are made to a single database to deliver the resultant yes, no, or alternate. Examples can be demonstrated as follows, entering each of these into one of the company sites, ex: https://www.reinhardthomeheating.com/become-customer.php:
- Enter zip code 13411 which results in “yes, you are within our area of service,” and this page being delivered https://www.reinhardthomeheating.com/area-we-serve.php.
- *Even though that zip code also exists in the region of https://www.reesemarshall.com/, that becomes irrelevant when searching from https://www.reinhardthomeheating.com/.
- Enter 13124 or 13425 and it generates a “no, with alternate companies” https://www.reinhardthomeheating.com/alternate-companies-serving-your-area.php?z=13124 and https://www.reinhardthomeheating.com/alternate-companies-serving-your-area.php?z=13425.
- Enter 05673 and it generates a “no, sorry.”
In the WordPress multi-site now being developed, I made an educated guess of a method that would work.
- I created a custom post type for Zip Code in each site. Within the parent site reinhardtcorp ID1, I created a post for each zip code that is served by each company site, with those served by multiple companies duplicated. The duplicated “titles” – the actual zip codes – are differentiated in the permalink by a -2, -3, -4, or -5 for RHH, Reese, Paul, and SD respectively (corresponding to their sub-site ID). Since sub-sites in a multisite function off of different databases, these zip codes were pushed to the sub-sites using the Distributor plugin, and then tailored for the overlapping areas in each sub-site.
- *The tailoring was to remove each duplicate zip code from each company so that the “yes” would have no “alternates.” The alternates would only be presented when the company does not serve a zip code served by other sub-sites. So in the asterisked example above, the Reese duplicate zip code has been removed from RHH. This may or may not have been necessary.
- Each company therefore has a different complement of zip codes. Reese, for example, in the middle of the four-company region, has the fewest remaining of the original total of 116 because the most alternates were removed.
- Zip codes not in ReinhardtCorp’s service area (no) and alternates will be displayed accordingly by querying those found in each sub-site.
- I don’t know if the new logic can be created in the parent site or whether it must be created in a subsite.
- The search form should be “included” in each Reusable block “Zip Code Locator,” or replace these blocks with similar if easier.
UPDATE 3/15/21: All of the below complete except for follow-up items above.
Tailor Hello3 theme for a client group of websites. A primary reason I chose your theme was because you include the editor styles but I was unsuccessful doing several of the things I tried.
The website is a multisite, with this domain being the parent:
We are trying to match the design and functionality of the existing non-WordPress sites as much as possible while converting them to WordPress, example: https://www.reinhardthomeheating.com/
Let me know if you need Super-Admin access. I believe you will need FTP access and will get that set up unless you are committed to having me make file changes with your coaching. All sites will share the same theme. I have already created a “child” theme from your Hello3 called “reinhardt.” I have had another developer do a couple things for me but it’s not happening fast enough. So I’m coming to you with a short schedule, unfortunately. These sites must be launched by March 26, three weeks. The “b” items in this list were added after the initial definition.
- Background info: We moved the breadcrumbs below the entry-header. Request: I need a “wrap” inside the entry-header so I can constrain the h1.entry-title width.
- 1b. The Entry-header on https://www.reinhardtcorp.com/resource-center/latest-news/ does not show properly, please fix.
- Please add the Genesis Before Header widget. My tries broke the site.
- 2b. Hoping a menu or list in this widget (as in existing site referenced) will also have some way of displaying appropriately on mobile.
- Colors: Please add colors to the block editor panel. Again, I broke the site trying within lib/gutenberg/style-editor.css (line 318) and config/appearance.php. Please add background colors: gold #f7a722, orange #e87f37, melon #e9592d, red #c52f33, blue #446cb2, and gray #999.
- Modify one breadcrumb: Can the breadcrumb on “single” say “Home / Latest News / (post title)” instead of “Uncategorized”? Note: Latest News happens to be the blog Page title (if that helps).
- Responsive menu layout and max width: I’m afraid I’ve messed this up in the lib/gutenberg/front-end.css file. Again, attempting to re-create the existing sites’ layouts, 1) I would like responsive not to switch until 767px, or 2) if this is too narrow for your theme or WordPress break points, somewhere between 768 to 1023. If between 768 to 1023, I would like a) the menu toggle button to remain beside the logo and right justify, and b) to allow the responsive menu to expand under the menu toggle inside of what’s happening now, either within the header or under the header. I’ll explain if this is not clear.
- 5b. Another problem with break point. I would really like the break point to be 767px instead of 800; this affects the entry content and footer also. Ex: https://www.reinhardtcorp.com/services-new-york-fuel-products/ I do not want the columns to split evenly between 600 and 800px. I want the larger layout 2/3 and 1/3 to show at 768. Below 768 I want the right column to drop below the left column and be full width as it does at 580px. I want the footer to show three widgets wide until 767px and narrower.
- Accordions: I would like the accordions on https://www.reinhardtcorp.com/fuels/ , https://www.reinhardtcorp.com/services-new-york-fuel-products/, and https://www.reinhardtcorp.com/services-new-york-fuel-products/service-agreements/ in our theme to have:
- a) the arrows as in this other temporary theme, http://paul.www.reinhardtcorp.com/fuels/, and to function
- b) with colors,
- c) initial state open/close choice,
- d) next open, previous close (any one that is open should close when another is opened), and
- e) pointer as in current site, https://www.reinhardthomeheating.com/fuels.php, https://www.reinhardthomeheating.com/equipment-heating-equipment-hot-water.php, and https://www.reinhardthomeheating.com/services-service-agreements.php.
- I noticed that the ::markers would show when I commented out “figure” or “summary” on line 30 of the style sheet in the inspector but couldn’t solve it. They show on my iPad but not on my computer in Firefox.
- Home Page Slider: some adjustments needed. We want to duplicate the height, width, and content display as closely as possible to existing sites. I have explored MetaSlider, which I use frequently (see Sample page), and SEO slider (currently in Home page), common in Genesis themes.
- a) Using MetaSlider, the image does not behave well because it’s not a background, shrinking too much on mobile. Could it be tucked inside a hero div with a min height? I’ve bought the MetaSlider Pro license before and will happily buy it again if that is the preferred approach, because the customization is easy and straightforward; client can easily make new sliders. https://www.metaslider.com/my-account/mls-licence/.
- OR b) SEO slider with more control over appearance, i.e. full width, and possibly separating text from image. This one is pretty close already, and if we can’t separate the text from the image, making it full width will likely meet our needs.
- Testimonials: I would like a testimonial slider under the featured posts on home page similar to that shown on plugin currently being used, https://wordpress.org/plugins/wpstudio-testimonial-slider/ (shortcode is not working) and the best way to feature some of the testimonials. The testimonials only need a title, content, name; not company name, no rating or image. Background: At one time, I may have created a custom post type on this site (not sure, I did on one of the sub-sites to test) so I could distribute/push testimonials to the sub-sites; perhaps there’s a lingering conflict.
NOTE: I’m not sure why I get a duplicate (and sometimes more) display of Genesis Blocks when clicking the upper left “+” to show all blocks.
NOTE: The main navigation is not in its final configuration. Once we have the Before Header widget, we can move some items and delete some links that are only there for ease of review.
I appreciate that your site https://www.thebrandid.me/order-form1606844337322 says you will teach. I don’t believe I need a detailed tutorial as I am good at reviewing the file changes. Happy to work with you on the phone and/or by Zoom, however works best for you. I will be very happy if your expertise and knowledge of the theme results in an economical and quality result.